This book was recommended by my gyane during my last annual check-up. And I spent about 4 days reading them during my “me-time” at night.
I view gyane as someone who has taken best interest in my health, my baby and my wellness. I believe his knowledge in taking care of our health had far exceeded mine too. And lastly, there is no harm spending time reading this book to increase my knowledge over how to safe guard my child’s health. As parent, I only want what is best for my child.
This book offer me a far insight on how we can eat healthy, getting the right nutrient without eating fish, meat and dairy product. If you swear by drinking milk is good for our health, then please don’t read this entry and don’t read his book. He is a great believer of eating fruit, vegetable, nuts, seeds, and whole grain. Keep our meal 90% at home is what he is sharing in this book. And after reading this article, Eat wisely to lower your risk from Today paper, I swear by this book can offer me and my family.
Everything written in this book is worthwhile for me to share with everyone. But I can’t duplicate what he had written in this book. I will be caught in infringement of copyright act. I would suggest you to grab a copy from the national library or buy a copy if you can afford to.
Meanwhile, I will extract some of the interesting facts he had shared in this book here.
Chapter 1: Understand Superior Nutrition
Are milk and cheese needed for calcium?
When you eat a healthy diet rich in natural foods, fruits, vegetables, beans, nuts and seeds, it is impossible not to obtain sufficient calcium. Of course, when our calories come mostly from oil, flour, and animal muscle parts (which have no calcium), instead of unrefined plant foods, it can appear that without dairy the diet would be too low in calcium. But the minute we removed the processed junk food, sugar, and oil from the diet, and instead encourage the consumption of natural foods such as nuts seeds, fruits, and vegetable, we get the healthy fats we need, and we also get plenty of calcium.
To raise healthy children we need to reduce dairy fat and substitute more fats and more calcium from raw nuts and seeds, tofu, and vegetables. Today, both soy milk and orange juice are fortified with calcium and vitamin D. you do not have to be concerned about your children consuming too little calcium if you remove or reduce diary.
Our body absorbs the calcium differently from different foods and absorbs calcium most efficiently from vegetables. Only about 32% of the calcium in milk is absorbed, while 54% of calcium in bok choy is absorbed.
|100 calories of
Calcium content of Common Foods
|Almonds – raw
When you eat less animal protein and less salt, you do not lose as much calcium in the urine and therefore need less calcium. Excess animal protein and sodium promote excessive calcium loss in the urine, increasing calcium requirements. When you eat a diet predominating in natural foods the way nature designed them, you do not have to worry about getting extra calcium. In fact, more natural plant foods added to the diet (fruits and vegetables) have been shown to have a powerful effect on increasing bone density and bone health. There are factors in these plants other than calcium that have beneficial effects on our bones. You and your child can achieve nutritional excellence utilizing a variety of natural foods while reducing dependence on dairy, and especially cheese and butter.
Chapter 2: Preventing and Treating Childhood Illness Nutritionally
Dietary Guideline for Children with Allergies and Asthma
- A high-nutrient, vegetable-nut-fruit-based diet
- One Tbsp of ground flax seeds daily
- At least one ounce of raw walnuts daily, with the addition of other raw nuts
- DHA supplements, 100-400 mg daily
- Multivitamin without vitamin A or isolated beta-carotene
- No process foods, dairy fat, or trans fat
- Little or no oils; essential fats are supplied from raw nuts and seeds and DHA supplementation
- Avoidance of known allergens
“A child is mostly eating solid food after one year of age, but it is a good idea to continue with some breast-feeding even if just twice a day until the second birthday. After weaning from the breast, the same qualities that make a healthy adult diet, a diet rich in fruits, vegetable, beans, nuts, and seeds, make the best diet for children.”
Chapter 3: Understanding the causes of Cancer and Other Illness
Besides the heightened exposure to chemicals and pesticides are used on some plant foods responsible for the majority of the plant-food-related dietary risk. These foods with the most pesticide residue are: strawberries, peaches, raspberries, blackberries, grapes, cherries, apples, and celery. Imported produce is also more likely to contain higher levels of pesticides.
LESSEN YOUR EXPOSURE TO PESTICIDES
- After peeling and discarding the skin of bananas, mangoes, pineapples, and melons, wash your hands with soap before touching, serving, or eating them.
- Peel and discard skin of potatoes and carrots, unless organic.
- Peel cucumbers, apples, peaches, and pears, unless organic.
- Trim all fat and skin from poultry or other animal foods.
- Avoid eating fruits imported from other countries, unless they have skins that can be removed and discarded.
- Do not eat non-organic strawberries or feed them to children. Use frozen organic when fresh organic are not available or too expensive.
Chapter 4: Feeding Your Family for Superior Health
PREPARING YOUR HOME FOR EATING HEALTHFULLY
Stock your home with a variety of produce, especially fresh fruits, raw vegetables, raw nuts, and seeds. Incorporate bean burgers, vegetable/bean soups, and fruit-centered desserts.
Replace foods of animal origin with foods of plant origin. Limit poultry to once or twice a week and red meat to even less. Remove skin from poultry. Use the light meat only.
Remove sugar, salt, and white flour from the home, as well as all products with these added. Use only whole-grain beads and pasta. Use tomato sauce for pasta, not oil-based or cheese-based sauces. Try bean or lentil pasta instead of wheat flour pasta.
Minimize the use of vegetable oils, replacing them with dressings and sauces made with avocados and whole nuts and seeds. Make delicious desserts with nuts, seeds, and avocados to encourage the consumption of healthy fats.
Do not keep cheese and butter in the house. If eating dairy foods, select no-fat varieties and only eat small amounts. Replace dairy products with soy milk and nut milk fortified with calcium and vitamin D and B12. If utilizing dairy products in your homes, only use fat-free versions.
Avoid eating lobster, shrimp, mollusks, catfish, swordfish, bluefish, mackerel, pike, shark, tuna, and any fish caught in questionable waters. Limit other fish to once weekly.
Eliminate fried foods and barbecued foods, both of which expose you to high levels of carcinogenic compounds produced by these high-heat cooking methods.
Remove all sweet drinks, soda, and processed fruit juice from the house.
Make healthy snacks available; cherry tomatoes, raw nuts, carrots, fruit, chickpeas, corn, and raw string beans are great choices. (For toddlers below the age of two and a half, beware of the choking hazard of whole nuts and carrot.)
Chapter 5: Preparing Healthy Foods That Your Kids Will Love
CHOOSING A CHILDREN’S CHEWABLE MULTIVITAMIN
- Look for one without vitamin A – vitamin A intake leads to calcium loss in the urine and osteoporosis. We make all the vitamin A we need from the carotenes found in fruits and vegetable.
- A children’s supplement should not have more than 2500 IU of beta-carotene, but even less is better. It is best to receive carotenes from food, not supplements. Studies looking at beta-carotene supplementation show a higher rate of both cancer and heart disease in those supplemented with a nigh dose of beta-carotene.
- It should contain the full spectrum of minerals.
- It should be free from artificial colors, flavors, and artificial sweeteners.
- It must taste acceptable to your children, as it does no good if your child refuses to take it.
The author has included a set of recipes and 10 Days of suggested menu. I have shortlisted some to try.