Continue from here…
Again this site spells my emotion situation well.
Losing a pregnancy at any stage can be hard, and even when there may technically be no baby to grieve due to the reactions of the cells involved. This means that there will have to be a healing time for all involved and the stages of grief will be experienced, though not necessarily in order or at the same time as your partner.
What makes this type of loss different from a "normal miscarriage" or loss is that you have the added concern of the mother’s continued health, including the risk of cancer.
While the risks of a molar pregnancy repeating itself are very small, it is something that most couples will think about prior to conceiving again.
The time to wait for another conception is also longer than a standard waiting time after a miscarriage. This can add pressure and heart ache.
Counselling, support groups, journaling, anything you can do to get your emotions out are great. Look for local resources as well as resources online.
Attempting Pregnancy Again
Do you or don’t you? This is not an easy question.
If you’ve previously had a molar pregnancy without complications, your risk of having another molar pregnancy are about 1-2%. These odds are less than having a second ectopic pregnancy (7-25%), so in that respect the answer is good.
Medically it will depend on many factors. So couples will choose to have genetic counselling prior to conceiving again. In the end it’s up to you and your partner if you wish to try again.
There are many support systems available for subsequent pregnancies, including Pregnancy After Miscarriage List and Subsequent Pregnancy after Loss Mailing Lists. I highly encourage you to seek both medical and emotional support during these times.
Women at Risk
- Early Teens
- Over 40 years
- Clomiphene stimulation
- 1-2% chance of a second mole
I was terrible upset ever since this happened. A horrifying pregnancy that might cost my life. I cried like my heart out when I heard the bad news of my blood test in the office and I was called back by the clinic to do the X-ray before the procedure was done on Monday (11/04/11).
Dr Chan told me the “worst” was over after looking at the X-ray (my heart was not affected) but then the diagnosis of the mole was a complete mole. I need to go back to the hospital every Friday to do a blood test to ensure everything will go back to normal.
It wasn’t easy on me, on us.
I did another blood test yesterday and today I received the good news my hCG level had dropped to 6k plus. I still need to be monitored closely. I believe I need to be monitored for a year before my gynae will give me the green light to try for another baby.
The fear within me that I need to be treated for a year is biting me off slowly. What if the situation turns against me?
A rising level of hCG and an enlarging uterus could indicate a Choriocarcinoma. A rare pregnancy-related form of cancer.
That might happen during the next 12 months. I might need to be again seeking another round of treatment. Unwillingly entering the most difficult part of my life.
I really want to continue to breathe in this world. I really want to see my own child grown up as an adult. I do really wish I can be grandmother one day. But my risk stake is rather high at this moment. What if I am the loser of this battle?
We merely want to have another child but then the outcome was so unexpected!!!!!!!!!!! It is never easy for me. Recalling the distress we had went through on Saturday and Sunday (09-10/04/11) after the check up, I am still very very bitter over it.
So, we have more or less accepted and decided – we rather Yvette growing up without a sibling than without a mom!
Unless God decides otherwise.
P/S: A Big Thank You to those readers who sent me emails, readers who sent me sms and leaving comment to encourage me. I really appreciate the encouragement from all of you!